Thursday, March 12, 2009

Riding the Potty Train


I just realized I haven't blogged since last Thursday. Where did the week go???
This week's big events have been centered around potty training. Katie once told me she thinks riding the "potty train" sounds fun! Here is a recap of the week...
On Friday, we took Abby to the doc for a diaper rash. It turns out I was trying too hard to get rid of it with creams and such and that I needed to let it be. Sure enough, it went away. I actually think she was allergic to the cream they had prescribed and that's why it lingered. The girls' doctors are right near Eric's work so as we passed by his building Katie wanted to go see him. I took the girls in and we got to show them off to all his co-workers. We popped by open gym at Gymboree afterwards.
Last weekend, we went shopping in Anthem. I've noticed that when we shop, Eric and I buy a lot less for ourselves than we used to. The # of bags for the girls way outnumbered the # of bags for us. It's ok - they really needed some warm weather clothes.

On Sunday, I started volunteering in the children's rooms at church. I'll be working with the 2yr olds, I think. There are 6 classes of 2 year olds and if I stay in the same age group as they put me in last week, then I'll be with kids just slightly younger than Katie. They may move me around and I'll end up in Katie's class sometimes, but I would prefer not to be with her. I think the separation is good for us. It was a lot of fun to be with the kiddos. It's cool to see their little personalities. Some like to join in with the activities and some liked to do their own thing. I'm looking forward to this Sunday.

On Monday, we stayed in all day b/c Katie got a cold. I picked up a little of it myself but Abby and Eric never did. I don't know how Abby has managed it, but she has avoided getting a cold, stomach flu and croup from Katie. The only time she has been sick was a runny nose and slight cough when we were in TX. She got good immune-genes.

On Tue, we stayed in but got out for an hour in the afternoon to check out the library. It just opened last weekend and it is so nice inside. Katie misses the puzzles at the old one, but the children's section is so much bigger! As we were walking in, Katie pointed at the flags and said "Mommy, that's American". I was so proud of her that she knew the US flag - something I don't think I had ever told her about.

On Wed, we began....POTTY TRAINING! I didn't get a clear sign that Katie is ready but preschool is looming and we have to start trying something. Thanks, Stace, for encouraging me to start when I talked to you. I made Katie go diaperless all day and she said "Mommy, I want my diaper back on" when she had to go. In the past, I might have put her diaper back on but yesterday I talked her into sitting on the potty and sure enough she went! She was SOOOOO proud of herself. Then, I was doing something with Abby later in the day and I wasn't watching her for a few minutes. She went on the potty without me even being there! I got brave and decided to take her to the park diaperless but with big girl undies. She wasn't quite ready for that yet. I am so encouraged by how well she's doing, though! I don't think she'll be out of diapers by the weekend or anything, but she's catching on better than I had expected and she finally seems interested in it.

Today we went to Gymboree where we did "errands" around the town. We drove pretend cars and stopped by an ATM, returned some "videos" and "library books", and played at a "park". Katie's very fave thing was to go thru the "car wash". Miss Chris had set up a tunnel and then a bunch of scarves hanging down as the "car wash". It was cute! The rest of the day was at home potty training. I think we're going to be at home a lot with this potty training stuff.

Abs seems to be sitting up a little stronger this week. I just barely have to hang on to her to keep her upright. This weekend is her 5 month bday and I think we're going to celebrate by starting rice cereal. She's not going to know what to think of it. We put her in the exersaucer for the first time this week and she LOVES it. She spent the first hour in it cooing at all the toys.

That's about it :-)

No comments: